Saturday, July 31, 2010

Roast Redemption pt. 1- Taquitos

I call this post part 1, just in case I come up with more ways to redeem my kitchen mishap from the other night.  Here's my first creation using the aftermath of my attempt at making a roast:

Taquitos!

For those who don't hail from the Southwestern U.S. (or Mexico), or haven't visited the freezer section at your local Wal-Mart in a while, a taquito is typically a small amount of beef or chicken wrapped in a corn tortilla and fried to crunchy perfection. 

Here's how I made these...and bear in mind, I've never actually made taquitos before, so it may not be the conventional way.  

First, I chopped up some of the beef really finely.  If you don't have leftover roast, and you don't feel like ruining a perfectly good hunk of meat so that you can make this dish, this might work with a good quality roast beef from the deli- maybe ask them to slice it a little on the thick side, and then you can shred it at home.

Then I took six yellow corn tortillas and heated some vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium heat.  I cooked each tortilla individually for several seconds on each side until it was pliable (I don't know what it is about corn tortillas- but if you don't do this they'll probably break).  Just put them on a paper towel lined plate until you're ready to work with them.  

I put a small amount of meat on the center of each tortilla, and then rolled it tightly, and placed it seam side down on a baking dish.  (I sprayed it with non-stick spray, but this is probably not necessary).  I baked them at 350 for about 10 minutes.  Wait for them to be slightly golden and crispy to the touch- they don't have to be completely crispy- unless that's important to you...I happen to like some of the less crispy parts too.

I served mine with some hot sauce left over from my last trip to the Mexican Restaurant down the street, but you can serve it with any good hot sauce, guacamole or salsa. 

You could also do this with chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment