Friday, July 16, 2010

Oat Biscuits

My wonderful MIL brought me some oat flour yesterday.  That was awesome because I haven't been able to find it at Sprouts.  It's been almost five months since I've had something bread-like with the exception of some gluten-free English muffins (I don't know if I'd buy them again, BTW...they were made with rice flour which in my experience seems to make the product a little on the crumbly side).  Anyway, so I had the great idea to try to make some biscuits with the oat flour, and I found a recipe for drop biscuits.  Of course it called for milk, so I just used some rice milk and a little bit of coconut milk creamer.  Here's how I made them:


2 1/3 Cups oat flour (start out with 2 cups- if it doesn't seem "dough-y" enough, add more!)
1 TBSP raw sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup rice milk
1/4 cup So Delicious (brand) coconut milk creamer
2 TBSP canola oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients.  Stir in rice milk, coconut milk creamer and oil.  I used a muffin tin to corral the mixture, as I wasn't sure what it would do, and I didn't want to end up with pancakes.  Divide mixture into 8 muffin compartments and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. 

They turned out very tasty. I took a bunch of pictures, but right now I can't figure out how to upload them onto the computer!  So I will try to add them in later.  I think making these just kind of opened up a whole new avenue of food options for me!  I can modify the recipe to make sweet things like cinnamon rolls or scones. 

These are really good if you're like me and can't do any dairy or wheat...plus the oat flour has lots of protein, fiber and iron.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment